The full decarbonisation of the blue economy is a relevant and cross-cutting challenge for the EU and its neighbouring countries. By taking advantage of the recently established Sea basins Assistance Mechanism contract, the workshop offers a unique opportunity to discuss the support provided by the EU sea basin strategies in the Atlantic, WestMED and Black Sea.
In a first part of the discussions, a number of relevant success stories are shared as concrete deliverables and contributions towards the implementation of the EU sea basin support – i.e. towards fostering a full decarbonisation of the blue economy.
In the second part of the discussions, a reflection on the best way forward for a strengthened cooperation amongst the sea basins will also be facilitated, to accelerate a fully sustainable blue economy across the EU.
As a result of the Workshop, relevant opportunities for stronger cross-sea basin coordination and synergies, both at the policy as well as technical levels, will be identified – i.e. amongst stakeholders, projects but also Steering Groups. This way it will be possible to further streamline overall cross-sea basins cooperation across the EU towards decarbonisation.
- Moderator/speakers of the workshop
- Overall Moderator and conclusions: Javier Fermandez Sea Basins Assistance Mechanism Team Leader
- Round table chair: Matteo Bocci Sea Basins Assistance Mechanism Synergies and Networking Work Package Leader
- Marisa Lameiras da Silva, Portuguese Directorate-General Maritime Policy, Director (Atlantic Strategy Committee, Presidency)
- Isabelle Perret Environment and Europe Adviser (acting) at General Secretariat for the Sea (WestMED Initiative, National Coordinator)
- Alexandra Bogdan, Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Director Analysis Division (Black Sea Common Maritime Agenda, Coordinator)